Nestled in the heart of Central America lies the picturesque nation of Costa Rica, renowned for its breathtaking beaches, lush rainforests, and an eclectic array of exotic creatures. Drawing countless visitors every year, this tropical paradise beckons to be explored and experienced. Whether it be for work or leisure, mastering the away of dialing a Costa Rican phone number correctly is essential to guaranteeing a seamless connection. In this article, we will walk you through the steps to call Costa Rica from the United States, empowering you with the know-how to stay connected with ease.
The Format of Costa Rican Phone Numbers
Costa Rican phone numbers have undergone significant changes over the years. Before 1994, all phone numbers were six digits long. Then, telephone numbers in every province were assigned a prefix to make them 7 digits long. In 2008, a new numbering system was implemented, adding the prefix 2 for all landlines and 8 for all mobile phone numbers to make them 8 digits long.
Here are the current formats for different types of phone numbers in Costa Rica:
- Fixed-line telephone numbers: 8 digits starting with 2 (2XXX-XXXX)
- Mobile phone numbers: 8 digits starting with 4-9, depending on the service provider
- Toll-free numbers: 10 digits starting with 800 (800-XXX-XXXX)
- Phone numbers starting with 3 are reserved for private mobile services.
How to Dial Costa Rican Phone Numbers from the US
To call Costa Rica from the US, you need to follow a specific dialing sequence. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Dial the US exit code: 011. This is the code you need to dial out from the US to make an international call.
- Dial the country code for Costa Rica: 506. This is the three-digit code that identifies Costa Rica as the destination country.
- Dial the 8-digit phone number.
For example, if you’re calling a landline number in Costa Rica, you would dial:
011 506 2XXX XXXX
How to Make Cheap Calls to Costa Rica
Making international calls doesn’t have to put a dent in your wallet. Here are some tips to help you make those cheap calls to Costa Rica:
Opt for a VoIP service
Do you want to keep your communication costs under control? Try using a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) service like Google Voice or Dingtone to make international calls over the internet. It’s a cheaper and more convenient option than traditional phone lines that will save you some serious dough.
Grab an international calling card
Consider buying an international calling card. These cards are a great option for making cheap calls to Costa Rica and can be bought online or at your neighborhood store. Just remember to read the fine print and watch out for any sneaky fees or tricky restrictions before you hit that purchase button.
Check with your phone carrier
You can call your phone carrier to check if they offer any international calling plans that can save you some cash when dialing Costa Rica from the US.
Some phone carriers offer international calling plans that can reduce the cost of calling Costa Rica from the US.
|Basic International Rate||Monthly International Plan|
Landline – unlimited
Landline – unlimited
|Verizon||$1.99 /minute||Global Choice Costa Rica: $10/month, 180 minutes|
Global Calling Plus: $15/month, $0.05/minute
Global Calling: $5/month, $0.05 /minute
Things to Consider When Calling Costa Rica
If you’re planning to call Costa Rica, whether it’s for business or pleasure, there are a few things you should know to make the process easier.
- Area codes: Costa Rica has several area codes, but when calling from outside the country, you do not need to include them. Simply dial the 8-digit phone number.
- Time zone: Costa Rica is in the Central Standard Time zone, which is 6 hours behind Coordinated Universal Time (UTC-6). Make sure to check the local time before making a call to avoid calling at odd hours.
- Language: While English is widely spoken in Costa Rica, it is always appreciated to speak Spanish. The phrase “Pura Vida” is commonly used to mean hello, goodbye, and everything’s great.